Important questions (Core Subject - Operating Systems)
FOR: All Andhra Pradesh universities/AU Region
VALID for BCA, BSc & Others
UNIT 1: INTRODUCTION TO OPERATING SYSTEMS
1. What is the purpose of the Operating System?
2. Explain the structure of the operating system?
3. Describe the organization of the computer system?
4. Briefly describe the architecture of a computer system?
5. Explain the types of Operating Systems?
6. What are the Advantages of an Operating System?
7. Describe the the interface of Operating System?
8. What are simple batch systems and multiprogramming batch systems?
9. Describe Distributed operating system?
10. Explain Multiprogramming Systems?
11. What are batch systems?
12. Explain UNIX Architecture?
13. What are the features of UNIX?
14. Differtiate between server and workstation?
15. What is RTOS?
16. What are the types and features of RTOS?
17. Explain the Structure of the process control block?
18. Differtiate between kernel and shell?
19. Define Operating systems and its goal?
20. Process of operating system debugging?
UNIT 2: OPERATING SYSTEM CONCEPTS
1. Describe the kernel and its types?
2. Explain about system calls its types?
3. Explain system programs?
4. What is the structure of Operating systems?
5. Explain about process and process states?
6. What is meant by process abstraction and process hierarchy?
7. Expalain about threads and their benefits?
8. What are Multi-threading models?
9. Define threading issues and libraries?
10. Explain process scheduling and its types?
11. Describe preemptive and non-preemptive scheduling?
12. Differentiate preemptive and non-preemptive scheduling?
13. What is priority scheduling?
14. Describe round-robin scheduling?
15. Expalin about scheduling algorithms?
UNIT 3: SYNCHRONIZATION/PROCESS MANAGEMENT
1. What is process management?
2. What are schedulers and their types?
3. What is a deadlock and its advantages and disadvantages?
4. Describe deadlock characterization?
5. What are the methods involved in handling deadlock?
6. What are the methods involved in deadlock avoidance?
7. Explain deadlock prevention?
8. How did deadlock detection occur?
9. Expalin about concurrent and dependent processes?
10. Explain semaphores and their characteristics types?
11. Explain the characteristic of semaphores?
12. Advantages and disadvantages of semaphores?
13. How do we implement semaphores?
14. What is process synchronization?
15. What are mutex locks and Synchronization hardware?
UNIT 4: MEMORY MANAGEMENT
1. What is address binding and its stages?
2. What is swapping and its types?
3. Define Memory allocation and types?
4. What is fragmentation?
5. Describe paging?
6. Describe segmentation?
7. What is FIFO Page replacement?
8. Explain page table structures?
9. What is LRU page replacement?
10. Give examples for the first and best-fit method?
UNIT 5: FILE AND I/O MANAGEMENT
1. Describe files and directories?
2. Explain file structure?
3. Basic Operations on files?
4. Describe standard files?
5. File operations on UNIX?
These questions are more than enough to score 90% on the semester examination.
Post a Comment